Hawk 289 SEBRING
The awesome Hawk 289 Sebring
The Cobra racers, in those early days of competition, knew they were part of something very special, but soon realised that to beat the opposition they would have to strengthen and modify their cars in order to stay ahead of the game. Engine upgrades and chassis modifications would prove beneficial and exterior changes were more obvious in the form of wider wheel arches, wider alloy wheels and tyres, aero screens, roll bars, side vents, air scoops and lots of other adaptations.
The Hawk 289 Sebring follows very much in the style of those early modified cars, paying particular attention to detail under the skin and in its outward appearance.
Although the 289 was arguably the most beautiful of the range, this design soon evolved to sprout larger rear wheel arches to accommodate fatter racing rubber and bonnet scoops to cool even more powerful engines. Even ‘fastback’ hardtops were available in the interests of improved aerodynamics.
The replicas produced by Hawk Cars have followed the evolutionary history of the 289 from the 1.8/2.6, described on the Ace replica page, to the road-going 289 itself and on through its racing development for the race track and even Le Mans.
One of the most exciting periods in motor racing history was the 1960s and now the Hawk Collection has been extended to the 289 Competition series – Classic cars created to re-capture the feel and excitement of those days.
• Type: 2 seater sports.
• Coachwork: Unstressed GRP construction, with extended wheel arch flares.
• Chassis: 3.5 inch round tube, with folded steel outriggers, fully sealed and bushed where appropriate. Bracketed for your choice of engine.
• Engine options: 8 cylinder 3500cc, or 302 cu inch V8. Others to special order.
• Gearbox: 4 and 5 speed options can be fitted.
• Front suspension: Independent, coil sprung, double wishbone with lever arm, or telescopic dampers.
• Rear suspension: Live axle, leaf springs with lever arm, or optional telescopic dampers, or Jaguar IRS.
• Brakes: Discs to the front and drums to the rear (or disc rear with Jaguar IRS). Servo, or non-servo assisted. 4 pot front calipers and adjustable brake bias options also available.
• Wheels: Staggered 15 x 9 alloy rear, with 255/60×15 tyres. 15 x 6 alloy front, with 215/65 x 15 tyres.
• 8 cylinder performance: 0 – 60 mph in under 6 seconds, with top speed around 130+ mph.
• Overall Dimensions: Length = 3937mm (155″). Width = 1701mm (67″). Height to screen = 1220mm (48″).
The aluminium version of the Hawk 289 Sebring – Price on application.
The aluminium bodied version of this model is the ultimate in authenticity and quality. The bodies are millimetre accurate reproductions of the original cars, formed in hand-beaten and rolled aluminium to exact specifications. The chassis are also of the original round tube design and these, along with the specially made hubs and suspension components are also to original specifications, but using the latest materials and engineering methods.
In fact, the production of original spec’ components for our own cars has established Hawk Cars as the major supplier of parts and spares for original cars in the UK and Europe.
A thorough look at these cars being assembled in our works, combined with a close study of our company demonstrators will leave you in no doubt that these cars are about as close to the real thing as it is possible to get.