Hawk 289 FIA
The awesome Hawk 289 FiA
After his Cobras finished 1-2-3 at Sebring in 1964, Shelby decided to send his team to Europe to contest the 1965 FIA World Manufacturers Championship. The plan was to beat Ferrari and break their series of wins with his now highly developed and capable Cobras.
Only 5 FiA Cobras were made and their distinctive features include; wider front wheel arches, cutback doors, an oil cooler scoop below the radiator intake, and bumps in the boot lid to allow the required FIA suitcase to fit inside. The cars also had more raked-back windscreens to reduce drag at high speeds.
Hawk’s 289 FiA is a faithful recreation, in the most intricate detail, of a typical FiA race car that would have been seen on many race tracks during the 1960s and 70s. Even today, it’s one of the most exciting and successful historic racers. It shares the same basic mechanical features as the other 289 models but has its own unique detailing such as the special optional boot lid, designed to take the mandatory FiA suitcase, the authentic wider rear wheel arches and cut-away doors.
• Type: 2 seater sports.
• Coachwork: All aluminium body on a round tube steel frame. Or, unstressed GRP option.
• Safety: Rollover bar with forward prop. Seat belts.
• Chassis: 3.5 inch round tube, with folded steel outriggers, fully sealed and bushed where appropriate. Bracketed for your choice of engine.
• Engine options: 8 cylinder 3500cc, or 302 cu inch V8. Others to special order.
• Gearbox: 4 and 5 speed options can be fitted.
• Front suspension: Independent, coil sprung, double wishbone with lever arm, or telescopic dampers.
• Rear suspension: Live axle, leaf springs with lever arm, or optional telescopic dampers, or Jaguar IRS.
• Brakes: Discs to the front and drums to the rear (or disc rear with Jaguar IRS). Servo, or non-servo assisted. 4 pot front calipers and adjustable brake bias options also available.
• Wheels: Staggered 15 x 9 alloy rear, with 255/60 x 15 tyres. 15 x 6 alloy front, with 215/65 x 15 tyres.
• 8 cylinder performance: 0 – 60 mph in under 6 seconds, with top speed around 130+ mph.
• Overall Dimensions: Length = 3937mm (155″). Width = 1701mm (67″). Height to screen = 1220mm (48″).
The aluminium version of the Hawk 289 FIA – Price on application.
The aluminium bodied version of this model is the ultimate in authenticity and quality. The bodies are millimetre accurate reproductions of the original cars, formed in hand-beaten and rolled aluminium to exact specifications. The chassis are also of the original round tube design and these, along with the specially made hubs and suspension components are also to original specifications, but using the latest materials and engineering methods.
In fact, the production of original spec’ components for our own cars has established Hawk Cars as the major supplier of parts and spares for original cars in the UK and Europe.
A thorough look at these cars being assembled in our works, combined with a close study of our company demonstrators will leave you in no doubt that these cars are about as close to the real thing as it is possible to get.